sunnuntai 10. marraskuuta 2013

Voluntourism = Volunterism for the wrong reasons? (part one)

People often asked me why. Why are you going to India? Sometimes it was enough for them to hear that I'm going to do voluntary service. The asking stopped right there. Oh, she is one of those globally conscious and caring ones. Sounds great. Some people asked more; why are you going to do voluntary service, what got you to make that decision. And I wonder if some people really answered that question with a “I want to help poor people”-argument, meaning and believing in it with their whole heart. My reasons for leaving were many and diverse, but I have to admit they were mostly egoistic and self-centred. Of course I was also hoping to help and maybe even make some difference with my stay in a developed country. I didn't know about the term voluntourism before I came here. I didn't know that anything like that existed. Now I know more and at the moment I'm struggling with conflicting thoughts about my whole stay and voluntary service in general. Are volunteers really nothing else but stupid fools in the end?

My dear friend Lukas made me read a hilarious blog that makes parody on peoples good will when they go volunteering in developing countries, mostly on the African continent. I won't make any statement on what I think about this particular blog, but it really woke me up to a totally new point of view on voluntary service. Is it racial discrimination to take thousands of pictures with dark coloured children just to emphasize the social and economical gap between developed and developing country people? Is it wrong to share these pictures on facebook and take all the credit of being such a “good person” when going so far away to help the poor kids?

I don't know. I haven't found a clear answer myself. And even I have been taking those kind of pictures too. In an orphanage of all places (I will come back to those dreadful orphanages later). The children love taking pictures, they almost force you, literally, to take the pictures. I remember my mixed feelings from those moments with the unknown children I knew I would never see again. I felt a bit silly and a bit fake. It is such a cliché to take those pictures, but at the same time it is the kind of pictures everyone expect from you when you go for a journey like this.

But there is one thing I totally agree on with the satirical blog. Why do people have to travel so long distances to help people, why can't they do it back home? Even worse is the case with people who doesn't realise how they discriminate people in their everyday life, without seeing it or thinking about it. It is only small and hardly visible thinks, connected with certain attitudes towards for example “different”, “annoying” or “uncool” people. I think that sometimes many of us fail to see the small things that we have right in front of us. You want to be a good person and moralize on all the horrible things that are happening in the world. But in fact you are no better yourself in your everyday life. And that's what annoys me. That you go to a poor developing country only because you can, because you've got the money. And then you stay for a month or two, not too long, because you miss your comfortable and luxurious life so badly. Taking pictures, playing with children, maybe building a new school to a village that doesn't even need one. And afterwards everybody is sooo proud of you and all that you achieved back there. And you did it all for free, not demanding anything for your good work. You did it all only because you're such a good hearted person.

Okay I'm getting pretty cynical here. I might not be any better myself. In fact I'm not, and that's what horrifies me the most. I'm fearing that I'm just keeping up some kind of desperate illusion of voluntary service when trying to get things working here. My environmental project is failing and so are many of the other volunteers projects too. Are there any working or functioning volunteer-projects?


More about that subject in the next episode. (I have to practise writing more briefly it seems...)

Oh, I almost forgot. Here is a link to satirical blog if someone is interested:

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti